More Taste, Less Waste
Can you make the most refreshing, sustainable, Mount Gay Rum Cocktail?
More Taste, Less Waste - Mount Gay Rum Cocktail Competition
Mount Gay Rum is deeply connected to our island heritage, terroir, and people. Conserving the oceans and the ecosystems that depend on them is vital and a mission Mount Gay is honored to support. In celebration of Mount Gay’s partnership with 4Ocean, a sustainability organization striving to end the ocean plastic crisis, Thirsty is hosting a cocktail competition that empowers bartenders to “Think Sustainably, Drink Sustainably”.
In addition to submitting cocktail recipes that are creative, delicious, and sustainable- we are challenging bartenders to submit recipes with sustainability practices that can be easily implemented in their bars in order to create meaningful, long term impact. With over 300 years of knowledge, experience, and refinement applied to the process of making rum, Mount Gay’s complex flavors of banana, almond, mocha, and vanilla have been coaxed from the natural Barbadian ingredients – molasses from Caribbean grown sugar cane, coral filtered water, natural yeast – and the time spent aging in American oak barrels. We are looking forward to exploring these flavors and more in your creations!
one winner will receive:
- a $5K cash prize
- One-on-one mentorship session with Master blender Trudiann Branker
How it Works
The US registration period will be open from 08/16/2020 to 09/16/2020. The finalists will be announced on 10/01/2020.
- The competition is open to professional bartenders aged 21-years-old or over, currently residing in the USA only.
- The competition is hosted online and there will be no in-person event
This competition will include 4 stages:
- Digital submission must be entered through the website portal thirstymag.com
- Contestants will have their recipes crafted by our team of in-house mixologists
- 6 finalists will be chosen. Each will be asked to host a 15 minute Instagram Live with @Collectif1806 to make their cocktail submission, educate the judges & Instagram Live viewers on their cocktail, and the knowledge of the brand.
- One winner from will be chosen to receive a $5K cash prize along with a personal, one-on-one mentorship session with Master Blender Trudiann Branker.
Cocktail submission should showcase the following:
- Celebrate Mount Gay’s new partnership with 4Ocean with a sustainably focused cocktail.
- The recipe should include at least 1oz of Mount Gay Rum (Eclipse, Black Barrel or XO). Read more about these expressions here.
- Show what terroir, craft, and sustainability it means to you and ask yourself, is this something I could sustainably implement in my own bar?
- The recipe should be an original and personal creation.
- The recipe should include at least 1oz of Mount Gay Rum (Black Barrel or XO)
- The recipe should not exceed more than 6 ingredients.
- Elements affecting the taste and/or aromas of the cocktail such as edible garnish, sprays, bitters are considered as an ingredient.
- The full recipe and method of preparation must be clearly specified.
- Homemade ingredients are permitted. Each ingredient will be recreated by our judging panel with the following parameters:
- The ingredient must take no longer than 24 hours to create.
- The judging panel will use locally available products to create homemade ingredients.
- The contestant may also choose to send to a sample of their homemade ingredient to ensure the accuracy of their recipe during the evaluation period. Collectif1806, Mount Gay Rum, or Media Partners are not responsible for cost or damages in shipping.
- The use of any liqueurs, standard modifiers, syrup, bitters, and juices is permitted.
- The use of any other rum brands is not permitted.
- The use of homemade bitters or fermentation is not permitted.
- The use of modifier spirits is permitted.
- Brands or type must be clearly stated.
- Other ingredients, such as garnishes, type of ice, etc. should be clearly specified.
- The choice of glassware is yours.
Cocktail Recipe specifications:
- The entire recipe should be expressed in fluid ounce, milliliter or number of drops used.
- Cocktail and ingredient preparation techniques must be clearly indicated.
- Your cocktail recipe should tell a story. Explanation and inspiration for the choice of ingredients and recipes should be detailed.