It’s about to go down! The fastest female bartenders will battle it out as Speed Rack returns to New York for the Speed Rack Season 5 National Finals on Sunday, May 22nd at Webster Hall.
The only all-female, speed-bartending competition was started by industry maven’s Ivy Mix & Lynnette Marrero and raises money for breast cancer charities. Almost 200 bartenders across the country in eight of the top cocktail cities – Chicago, New York, San Antonio, Seattle, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Nashville, and Boston – and now only eight remain. The city champs will be taking the stage along with eight wildcard winners in an ultimate Speed Rack showdown for all the glory. But it isn’t all fun & drinks, to date, Speed Rack has raised more than $350,000 for breast cancer charities in the U.S. and abroad.
Contestants will compete in timed heats to make rounds of cocktails, culled from a list of 50 accepted industry-standard classic recipes, in front of a panel of judges and a crowd of excited viewers. Judges rate each drink based on prep time and accuracy. The judging panel at Speed Rack National Finals will feature such leading cocktail-world luminaries as: Kate Krader of Food & Wine magazine, Paul McGee, owner and head bartender, Lost Lake Chicago, Julie Reiner, owner of Flatiron Lounge, Clover Club and co-owner Leyenda, and Dave Wondrich, world-renowned cocktail historian and writer. Pernod Ricard’s Chris Patino will emcee the proceedings.
Ivy &Lynnette are both excited about the group of contenders this year because there are many new faces that are new to Speed Rack. And competitors, ready up, here are some tips directly from the Founders:
- Lynnette – “Take a breath, and do what you do every day! Make awesome drinks, be confident, don’t reinvent the wheel.”
- Ivy – “This competition should be called accurate rack, seriously! It is NOT about speed. Too quick and you’ll mess up. It’s about being calm, cool and collected and focuses – that wins the race!”
Country’s Top Female Bartenders Compete for Industry Glory and Breast Cancer Research in Season 5 Competition Finals; Winner Named Miss Speed Rack USA 2016
Speed Rack Season 5 Details
WHAT: Speed Rack National Finals
WHERE: Webster Hall – 125 East 11th Street, New York, NY 10003
WHEN: Sunday, May 22, 2016, from 5:00pm –9:00pm
COST: Tickets are $30 online & at the door
WHY: To date, Speed Rack has raised more than $350,000 globally for breast cancer charities and elevated top female bartenders in America and abroad who go shaker-to-shaker competing for industry glory and a Speed Rack title. Beneficiaries have included SHARE cancer support, National Breast Cancer Foundation, Susan G Love, The Helen David Foundation and others.
With suggested donation, attendees receive cocktails from our premium sponsors.
- Alicia Walton – The Sea Star; Ms. Speed Rack San Francisco
- Christine Wiseman – Break Room 86; Ms. Speed Rack Nashville
- Emily Yett – Herbs & Rye; Ms. Speed Rack Las Vegas
- Genna Barone – Franklin Café; Ms. Speed Rack New England
- Haley Holman – Capitol Hill’s Canon bar; Ms. Speed Rack Seattle
- Lacy Hawkins – The NoMad, Clover Club; Ms. Speed Rack New York
- Madelyn Kay – VOX Table; Ms. Speed Rack Texas
- Melissa Huth – Bordel; Ms. Speed Rack Chicago
- Andrea Tateosian – Urbana; Nashville Wildcard Winner representing Washington D.C.
- Anna Wingfield – Mother’s Ruin, Ba’sik; New York Wildcard Winner
- Elise Barnard – Restaurant Good Luck; New England Wildcard Winner
- Elyse Blechman – Captain Foxheart’s Bad News Bar & Spirit Lodge; Texas Wildcard Winner
- Jessi Lorraine – Absinthe; San Francisco Wildcard Winner
- Julia Gordon – Lost Lake; Chicago Wildcard Winner
- Karen Grill – Sassafras Saloon; Las Vegas Wildcard Winner
- Kate Perry – Rumba; Seattle Wildcard Winner
Our Best Stories Delivered Daily