We sat down with Luis Hernandez, the head bartender at The Eddy in the East Village. He has been the Head Bartender at The Eddy for the past six months, after leaving the Clocktower. I first met him doing laybacks on a bus headed to Tiki by the Sea in Wildwood, NJ. We then spent the next three days together drinking cachaça and rum with 40 other bartenders.
I have always been a big fan of The Eddy’s sister restaurant, Wallflower in the West Village, so The Eddy was an obvious choice after moving to the East Village. Currently, Hernandez is gearing up for his fall cocktail menu that will launch later this month. I sat down with him a couple of weeks ago to talk about his favorite bars, cocktails, and his bartending AHA moment. Watch the interview below.
- Favorite Place to Drink When Not Working – The Cannibal, 113 E 29th St, New York, NY. Described as a meat-centric Belgian gastropub.
- Best Drinking Buddies – David Roth from Covina, Hung from Dante. Wo Hop (17 Mott St & Chatham Sq)
- First Hangover – White Russian
- Go to Drink – Daiquiri (NOT FROZEN)
- Hidden NYC Gems – Le Boudoir in Brooklyn with Ms Franky (Beverage Director) 135 Atlantic Ave, NY, NY 11201
- Aha Moment – Clarified Oaxacan Black Molé
- Best Place for Afterwork (East Village) Cocktails – Holiday Cocktail Lounge (75 St Marks Pl, New York, NY 10003 ) for a Rolling Rock and a Shot or Goodnight Sonny’s (134 1st Avenue, New York, NY 10009) for late night food. Goodnight Sonny’s is open until 4 am, 7 days a week.
About Luis Hernandez
Luis Hernandez, originally from Venezuela, moved to Cape Cod in 2000. He got his start in hospitality in middle school working for a family friend’s restaurants (Ciro and Sal’s) during the summers. In 2006 he ran the kitchen of his family’s restaurant in Cape Cod until leaving for College in Los Angeles. At the age of 21 Hernandez started bartending in Provincetown, Fort Lauderdale and finally New York City, working under Naren Young at Public and The Daily. Hernandez has also worked at Bacchanal and the Clocktower before heading to the East Village.
Our Best Stories Delivered Daily